Unfortunately, yes, a car crash can result in your suffering a catastrophic injury. But what exactly constitutes a catastrophic injury?
The Lawyer’s Monthly explains that you will find no definition of catastrophic injury in any law book, legal journal or court opinion. Rather, the legal and insurance communities define them on a case-by-case basis, taking many factors, including the following, into consideration:
- Did your injury necessitate a lengthy hospital stay?
- Did you need to undergo extensive physical or occupational therapy after your hospital discharge?
- Did your injury partially or totally disable you?
- Did it require you to use a wheelchair or prosthesis for the rest of your life?
- Did it leave lasting disfiguring scars, particularly on your face?
- Did it negatively impact your ability to obtain or continue employment?
Catastrophic injury examples
Experts generally agree that all of the following qualify as catastrophic injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries resulting in paraplegia or quadriplegia
- Crush injuries result in the amputation of one or more limbs
- Traumatic brain injuries result in any number of continuing problems, such as cognitive issues, mobility issues, emotional control issues, etc.
- Eye injuries resulting in substantial loss of vision or complete blindness
- Ear injuries resulting in substantial loss of hearing or complete deafness
- Severe burn injuries resulting in lasting disfiguring scars
Bottom line, any injury you receive in a car crash qualifies as a catastrophic injury if it somehow changes your life forever afterward. Put another way, you never fully recover from a catastrophic injury. Its effects remain with you, and one of your greatest challenges is learning how to cope with and adapt to your “new normal.
If you, your loved one, or friend has suffered a Catastrophic Injury in a Car Accident, Call the Catastrophic Injury Attorneys at Rose Sanders Injury Law at (281) 231-9288 for your free consultation. Our offices are conveniently located in Houston, Dallas, and McAllan.
Rose Sanders Law Firm
1 Greenway Plaza, Suite 100